Click here for the Conference agenda.
You are cordially invited to attend the 2013 Regional Fall Conference
For the New York, Eastern New England, Fairfield-Westchester, Hartford, Pittsburgh and Ohio Chapters
October 2-4, 2013
Please join your colleagues as we come together with current and former senior SEC staff members, governance experts, investors, directors and proxy advisory firms to reflect on the impact of the 2008 financial crisis on U.S. corporate governance practices over the past five years – and debate the direction we will take for the next five years.
October 2, 2013
Ethics Program & Welcome Reception
Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
767 Fifth Avenue
(Fifth Avenue and 59th Street)
New York, New York
October 3-4, 2013
The Time Warner Center
58th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues
New York, New York
Taking Stock: Corporate Governance Five Years After the Financial Crisis
Start planning the 2014 proxy season, hear from senior SEC staff, governance experts, investors, directors and your peers, and earn CLE credit.
Last year's fall conference was sold out – register early to avoid being disappointed!!
ABBY JOSEPH COHEN TO DELIVER THURSDAY KEYNOTE
We are pleased to announce that ABBY JOSEPH COHEN, CFA and Senior Investment Strategist and President, Global Markets Institute, Goldman Sachs & Co., will deliver Thursday's lunchtime keynote address. Please join us as we discuss the direction of the economy, the impact of the post-Dodd Frank regulatory environment on U.S. business, and emerging macro trends Boards of Directors should be focusing on today.
Click here for the Conference agenda.
At this year's Conference, you will have the opportunity to:
- Get an exclusive, inside-the-boardroom perspective from Bill Weldon, former Chairman and CEO of Johnson & Johnson. Bill served as Chairman of J&J's board for a decade before retiring from J&J earlier this year. Bill is currently Chairman of the Corporate Governance & Nominating Committee of the board of JPMorgan Chase & Co., and also a member of the boards of CVS Caremark Corporation, The Chubb Corporation, and Exxon Mobil Corporation. Having served on major boards in the spotlight and worked with some of the most seasoned general counsels and corporate secretaries, Bill brings with him a set of perspectives and experiences that few others have on how corporate governance has evolved in the Sarbanes-Oxley and Dodd-Frank eras. Interviewing Bill will be Douglas K. Chia, Assistant General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Johnson & Johnson.
- Hear the Latest Updates on SEC disclosure developments with Keith Higgins, Director, the Division of Corporation Finance and Lucy Fato, Deputy General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, the Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc.
- Prepare for the 2014 Proxy Season with Carol Bowie, Head of Research Americas, ISS; Bruce Goldfarb, Founder, President and Chief Executive Officer, Okapi Partners LLC; Robert McCormick, Chief Policy Officer, Glass Lewis & Co., LLC; Glen Schleyer, Partner, Sullivan & Cromwell LLP; and Robert Lamm, Senior Fellow, Governance Center, The Conference Board.
- Gain Insight into Key Investor Concerns by tuning in to Thomas P. DiNapoli, New York State Comptroller; Christina Maguire, Manager, Governance Policy and Operations, BNY Mellon; Christopher Wightman, Principal, CamberView Partners, LLC; Ann Yerger, Executive Director, Council of Institutional Investors; and Margaret Foran, Chief Governance Officer, Vice President and Corporate Secretary, Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Stay Abreast of Pay-for-Performance Trends with James Barrall, Partner, Latham & Watkins LLP; Blair Jones, Managing Director, Semler Brossy Consulting Group LLC; Ira Kay, Managing Partner, Pay Governance LLC; Charles Tharp, Chief Executive Officer, Center on Executive Compensation; and William Ultan, Senior Managing Director, Morrow & Co., LLC.
- Explore Emerging Social Media Issues with Kerrie Cohen, Managing Director, Head of Media Relations, Americas, Barclays Capital Inc.; Joe Lockhart, Founding Partner and Managing Director, The Glover Park Group; Jake Siewert, Global Head of Corporate Communications, The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.; Frank Zarb, Partner, Proskauer Rose; and James J. Killerlane III, Associate General Counsel, American International Group, Inc.
- Consider Protections for Insider Transactions with Richard D. Owens, Partner, Latham & Watkins LLP; Debbie McGrath, Director, Executive Advisory Services, Retirement Services, Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith, Incorporated, Bank of America Merrill Lynch; and Tom Kim, Partner, Sidley Austin LLC.
- Learn About the Latest Developments in Annual Meeting Litigation from Paul Atkins, Chief Executive Officer, Patomak Global Partners, LLC; Jeremy Goldstein, Partner, Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz; Meredith Kotler, Partner, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP; and John Seethoff, Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Microsoft Corporation.
- Evaluate the Legacy of Dodd-Frank with former senior SEC staff members, including Alan Beller, Partner, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP; Meredith Cross, Partner, WilmerHale; and Catherine Dixon, Partner, Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP; Brian J. Lane, Partner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP; and Keir Gumbs, Partner, Covington & Burling LLP.
BUDGET-FRIENDLY REGISTRATION: $695 FOR MEMBERS
Even better, the conference will help you stay on top of recent developments without busting your budget:
Members will receive a budget-friendly price of $695.00
- Non-members can register for $795.00
For these prices, you get not only the Conference but also a two-hour ethics program immediately prior to the Wednesday evening reception as well as two hours of great food and cocktails at the Time Warner Center on Thursday evening to mingle with old friends and meet new ones.
On Wednesday, October 2, 2013, there will be an Ethics Program from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm, followed by a Welcome Reception for Conference attendees, from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm, at the New York City Offices of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
The conference program will begin at 8:45 am on Thursday, October 3, 2013 and end by 2:30 pm on Friday, October 4, 2013. The Conference will also include a Cocktail Reception for attendees on Thursday evening at the Time Warner Center.
Registration will be available starting at 4:30 pm on Wednesday, as well as starting at breakfast at 7:30 am on Thursday and Friday.
CLE CREDITS (INCLUDING 2 HOURS OF ETHICS CREDIT) IS PENDING
Here is what you need to do now:
Last year's conference sold out and we were forced to turn away late registrants. You should register now to avoid being disappointed. Click here to register.
- If you need accommodations for the Conference, make your hotel reservation directly with The Michelangelo Hotel, 152 West 51st Street, on the corner of 7th Avenue. The toll-free telephone number is (800) 237-0990. Room rates are $399 per night plus current taxes and are valid from September 30th – October 5th. Room reservations must be made directly with the hotel by 4:00 pm, Eastern Time, on September 13, 2013. Attendees should request the group rate by stating they are with the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals. Please reserve soon. Last year we sold out!
- Please note there is a 5-day prior hotel cancellation notice or your entire booking cost will be forfeited.
- Register for the Conference no later than 4 PM on September 17, 2013. On or before September 18th at 4 PM, we will honor a cancellation and return all registration fees if received by Kitty Eisenring at 212-770-5159 or via email at Kathleen.firstname.lastname@example.org (we will not accept any faxes).
We look forward to seeing you in NYC!
Matthew Furman, President, New York Chapter
Heidi DuBois, Vice President and Program Chair, New York Chapter